Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 11


I am thankful to all those who have fought and continue to fight for our country-
Today being Remembrance Day I need to say thank you. In yesterday's blog I didn't talk too much about my Grandpa Weese or my Great Grand dad. That's because I knew I would be talking about them today. They (along with my Grandma Weese) served in WWII. My Grandpa Weese served in the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) and my Grandma was a secretary in the war. My Grand Dad served in the RCAF also. It is him that I am missing the most today. You see, every Remembrance Day I would make sure I would thank my Grandparents and I would always try to go visit my Grand Dad. He always told this one story from the war over and over again. It was about how he helped sink a German Sub. The whole family knew this story very well. We could almost tell it word for word. I remember telling my Mom one time upon leaving his house "If I never hear that story again in my life that would be great!" Well of course now that he is gone guess what the only story I want to hear is? That's right...the same one I have heard a million times. Anyway, I feel a little better now getting that off my chest. I miss my Grandparents and Remembrance Day has always been hard for me because it always reminds me of my them. Spencer's two of Spencer's Grandpa's served also. His Grandpa Crapo was a proud Marine and served in Korean War. His Grandpa Izatt served in the Navy. Spencer has said that they never wanted to talk about their time serving but we sure are glad that they did.
It is a very courageous thing to go and fight a war. You don't have to, but many men and women do every day. They leave their friends and family and go fight for us and our rights and freedoms. I thank each and every one of you who have done this, and who still do it. I thank the families of those soldiers for their sacrifice and patience. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. Some people may not support the war, but at least support the men and women over there fighting for us. These men and women are in my thoughts and prayers. We want them to come home safely.
I remember Remembrance Day assemblies at school each year we always recited "In Flanders Fields" after a while I got annoyed with it and didn't understand why we had to say it every year. Well now that I have been out of school for years I find myself missing it. So here it is. For those of you who are not familiar with it ask me.Written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae a doctor for the Canadian Army during the 1st World War.
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw The torch;
be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep,
though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment