Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 9

I am Thankful for Grandparents-
I have had the opportunity to have some of the most amazing Grandparents ever! In fact my daughter is named after My Grandma Weese (my dad's mom). She was such an example to me and my sister and cousin. While she couldn't cook anything without burning it I still remember thinking "she is such a good cook". To this day, I can't eat certain foods unless they are burned, because it just doesn't taste right otherwise. She and my Grandpa Weese were always there for us. We spent many nights at their house, just because we thought it was cool haha. They passed away when I was only 11 and 12 years old. It was a very hard thing for me. They were a couple of my best friends, as weird as that may sound. I was at their house every day, morning, noon and night while my parents worked. They were the greatest and I miss them so much. Naming my daughter after my Grandma was the least I could do, considering all that they did for me.

My Mom's Mom, Grandma Bev has always spoiled my sister and I and our cousins. Whatever we wanted (or even things we didn't know we wanted) we got. In grade 7 when I had just started playing the flute I decided that I LOVED it. All the flutes at school were horrible and on their last leg for the most part. I told Grandma about this, and soon after we went to London and bought my very first flute. I still have it, and love it to this day. She came out to Utah in May, before Grace was born, to do a little spoiling. She bought her stroller, carseat, and many other things that were a little tricky for spencer and I to afford at that time. I am thankful for her and her generosity.

My Great Grandparents (My Mom's Dad's Parents) were such a big part of my life too. A lot of kids don't get much of an opportunity to know their Great Grandparents. Well I was lucky enough to be able to. One of my Greatest memories of my Great Grandparents was when I was, oh about 9 or 10 or so. All my friends were doing something one weekend. I didn't feel like staying home and being lame with my family. I couldn't find ANYONE to hang out with. So my Mom suggested to call my great Grandparents. So I did. My Grandma told me to come over and spend the night. I remember walking in the door and she said " So I'm your last resort eh?" I felt so bad that I made her feel like she was my "last resort" so I went out of my way to tell her how much I loved hanging out with her and Grand Dad. We played scrabble and ate yummy cereal as a treat late at night. I actually had way more fun with them then I would have had with any of my friends. I love and miss them so much.

It does take a community to raise a child. I am so thankful that I had such a great "community" to help raise me. They were wonderful examples to me. They helped teach me right from wrong, how to be respectful to my elders and a lot of other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment